Monday, April 7, 2008

Pop goes the Smitty

Smith: "Dad, where did you pop out?"
Dad: "What?"
Smith: "When you were born, who did you pop out of?"
Dad: "Um . . . [clearing my throat], Oma."
Smith: "Where did mom pop out?"
Dad: "Poppy."
Smith: "I know where I popped out."
Dad: "Where?"
Smith: "Mommy's birth canal."

About a month ago, Smith asked me how a baby gets out of a mommy's tummy. I didn't want to tell him something untrue, but I wanted to keep it vague . . . so I told him that babies come out of the birth canal. Of course, he then wanted to know where a mommy's birth canal is. I tried to change the subject, but he wouldn't drop it, so I made something up. I told him that the birth canal attaches to the bellybutton when a baby is ready to be born. I'm an idiot, I know. We hadn't talked about it since.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm laughing to hard to think of anything to say. Birth canal? Good grief - there's no way I'm saying those words to Chase yet. It is getting harder and harder to think of how to keep things vague, though. Nice!

chipsgirls said...

Where does he come from? He is so funny I would just love to spend some time in his head for a minute! We miss you!

Haley said...

i have a good book for you!!!

spreading the smitty word