Monday, February 18, 2008

Rock-Paper-Scissors

Yesterday, Smith and I were sitting on the couch relaxing, when we decided to play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Like everything in Smith's life, it soon became competitive. After the second game, Smith was already cheating. I scolded him, but he was relentless. He was doing anything and everything he could to catch a break.

He tried "The Delay" (When one player delays committing to a hand formation until the last second in an attempt to glimpse the opponent's hand maneuvering). He tried "The Countdown Malfunction" (When one player throws down on four instead of three after the opponent has already shown his formation). And in a last-ditch, pitiful attempt, he tried "The Switcheroo" (After both players have thrown down, one player changes formations to whatever defeats the opponent and explains, "I forgot I wanted to be rock"). That was the last straw.

"Smith, I'm not going to keep playing if you're going to cheat." I warned paternally. Smith dropped his hands defiantly, pursed his lips, and gave me a menacing stare. After a moment, he silently extended his left hand, palm facing up, with his right hand in a fist. I interpreted this gesture to mean: This one is for the game. "Okay, one more." I said. "You're not going to cheat?" Smith shook his head. I accepted. Then just before we started the countdown, I saw the corner of his mouth turn up.

"One, two, three!" we said in unison. I threw down paper. I looked at Smith's hand. His index finger was pointed directly at me and his thumb stood up vertically. "Gun beats paper. I win. BANG!"

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Laughing. My sides hurt. The way you told that story...I could picture Smith's face absolutely clearly. I can't believe that little stinker. He is going to go far in life, for better or worse, don't you think? He will MAKE life work for him! Bang!

whit said...

I need to meet this kid, although I am not sure I want my children to.

chipsgirls said...

I haven't checked your blog for a while so it was nice to catch up on Smittyisms. You got some laughs out of me, now I can go to be with a smile on my face!! Congrats to Whitley for blogging too.

Barrett said...

Maybe if I keep posting to your blog you will email me back Rom....love the story about Rock Paper Scissors.
It seems like that happened to me when I used to play you back in seventh grade. Maybe this isn't the best forum for light-hearted trash talk. Seriously...love the blog of Smitty and Laine. You have inspired the Petersons. Look for a weak sauce Peterson blog coming your way soon.

spreading the smitty word