Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Finally, he wants to be like Jesus . . . sort of.

Followers of Smittyisms know that Smith hasn't always been best buddies with Jesus. Last night, I was reading an article in Newsweek about President Hinckley. Adjacent to the article, was something about Christian artifacts with a large picture of a golden crucifix. Smitty stood up on his chair and began to show me how Jesus died on the cross. He must have just learned about it in primary, because he went into a five minute ordeal about how they put him up there with nails and on and on and on. I stopped him, thinking I could turn this into a "teaching moment." I posed a few questions and told him why Jesus died and that after he died he was resurrected and what that meant.

Smith: Whoa, wait. Stop. Is that what they did to President Hinckley too?

Mom: Umm, No.

Smith: Well. I want to be like Jesus. That would be so cool . . . then I can die and then come back to life. Mom don't you want to die so that you can come back to life? That is like the best magic trick!

7 comments:

Jeb and Becca said...

Wow, Whitley..I am so glad you shared this site with me! I'm sorry, I had to let Jeb in on the fun. We have had a great time laughing and of course Jeb commented on the "playing soccer in his heart and brain" section.
This has helped me realize I need to spice up our postings a bit instead of the usual boring rantings.
Very cool site. Becca

Haley said...

hi adam!! fun blog!!!

www.bhaymitchali.blogspot.com

Haley said...

that is too funny!! we've only been here since August so not very long!!! It is so cold here but we are liking it!!!!

Rachel said...

Woah. Aren't these moments hard? This is what Chase talks about non-stop. And I never know how to answer him. Or how to react when our conversations head towards the slightly strange. Good luck...

whit said...

Did I already tell you about the time that Eli thought that his father's blessing gave him super powers?

Adam said...

Oh wow. That would be sweet though, wouldn't it? It sounds like Eli and Smith could hang.

Barrett said...

First time visiting one of my friends blogs. I am still getting out of the 80's and into the 90's....oh wait, err the 2000's I mean. This is really cool though. Nice to keep tabs on you guys and the kids. Love the story about Smitty and trying to be like Jesus. Sorry for the long commentary.

spreading the smitty word