Sunday, November 4, 2007

Birthdays

There seems to have been a lot of talk in our house lately about birthdays. Smith has been invited to a few parties lately, and Smith's cousin Chase had a birthday while he was here visiting last week. On Saturday, I was taking Smith to another of his buddy's birthday parties and I think Smith got to wondering when it would be his turn to have a birthday party again.

"Dad, the next birthday party is going to be for me, right?"

I replied, "Actually, your birthday is a long ways off. We have to celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter, the 4th of July, and a few other holidays before we will celebrate your birthday again."

"Oh . . . what day is my birthday?" Smith asked.

"September 11th."

Right then, we arrived at the party. There were about 50 people in attendance: 20 kids and 30 parents, all crammed into the old CU bowling alley. The host of the party greeted us, as did a few other parents and friends. I said hello, but Smith's head was still stuck on picturing his own birthday party, so he returned their greetings by screaming out, "I LOVE SEPTEMBER 11TH! I LOVE SEPTEMBER 11TH! I AM GOING TO HAVE THE BIGGEST PARTY IN THE WORLD ON SEPTEMBER 11TH!"

I think every head in the room turned and stared at us. I am sure my face turned a deep shade of red . . . maybe purple. I was able to explain to tell those within close proximity that September 11th is Smith's birthday and he is already looking forward to his next birthday party; however, the rest of the people at the party may still think we are terrorists.

4 comments:

holly said...

THAT is why I read this blog. Classic.

Rachel said...

Awesome. You NEVER fail to send me into hysterics.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you must have been inside out. I'm sure Whit was just dying. I remember when she heard that Sept. 11 was his due date she was not happy, but then realized that NO baby is EVER born on their due date, so SURELY he would not get a SEPT 11 BIRTHDAY!! Surprise, surprise, surprise. Little did she know that just by marrying you, she would become closely enough related to me, that my tendency to go into labor within 24 hours of my due date (3 times!) would rub off on her.
MRL

Sally DeFord said...

I'm glad I found the links to your blogs. Your kids are adorable. It looks like life is treating you well. we miss living by you. Sally

spreading the smitty word